The Secretary of State Mike Pompeo says that the US might ban Chinese social media apps like TikTok.
“We are taking this very seriously. We are certainly looking at it. With respect to Chinese apps on peoples’ cellphones, the United States will get this one right too.” – He said while speaking with Fox News on Monday.
For the last couple of years, lawmakers have shown concern over this app in particular and raised concerns regarding privacy and its way of handling user data. Several accusations have been made against the Chinese government and political stances have been made.
“TikTok is led by an American CEO, with hundreds of employees and key leaders across safety, security, product, and public policy here in the U.S. We have no higher priority than promoting a safe and secure app experience for our users. We have never provided user data to the Chinese government, nor would we do so if asked.” – said the spokesperson of TikTok after Pompeo made such remarks.
It was only last week when India also put a ban on this video sharing app along with other Chinese apps like WeChat. It is being suggested that these apps are “engaged in activities … prejudicial to sovereignty and integrity of India.”
TikTok responded to this by saying that, “TikTok continues to comply with all data privacy and security requirements under Indian law and has not shared any information of our users in India with any foreign government, including the Chinese Government.”
When Pompeo was asked whether or not he would suggest this app to US citizens, he said, “Only if you want your private information in the hands of the Chinese Communist Party.”